Wednesday, April 25, 2007

A lesson in Japanese

When you are learning a language there are awkward moments when you are not sure if someone is talking to you in Japanese or English.

We were learning about hobbies and our sensei split us up into groups to ask each other what films we like etc. One girl in my group asked our sensei

“Sensai wa shumi ga arimas ka”

Meaning: Teacher about hobby exist question mark

Our sensei says “Hai, shumi wa arimasu”

Yes hobby about exist = I do have hobbies

So the next question is

“Donna shumi ga arimas ka”

Meaning: What type hobby it exist question mark

Our sensei says: “Dog show”

We all look at each other, so she says it again. I say “dog show?” to her and she nods enthusiastically. I try to remember the word for dog in Japanese, “Inu?” I ask. “Huh?” she says, I say it again, “huh” she insists. It’s clear that whatever she said has nothing to do with dogs and I have got myself into an awkward situation and should have just kept quiet.

Our sensei goes to the board and writes out in Japanese this mysterious word that sounds exactly like dog show, it means reading. She comes back and taps me on the back laughing saying “funny.” I don’t know what to say.

Later on I try and explain what happened to some of the people I live with, I draw this picture to illustrate what a dog show is.

I know it is hard to believe but my drawing has actually improved a lot since I was 4, though not as much as my dog show.

2 comments:

zilch said...

Hi,

I'm Wendy (Gloria's friend) and saw your blog's add on MSN so decided to check it out. I'm enjoying your blog muchos cos. it's so funny and I can totally sympathise with the whole Japan learning experience. I remember Glor told me that you were planning to teach in Japan? Well, anyways, being a student is much more fun ^o~ I'm actually going to be in Tokyo as well at the end of May. Just applied for my Working Holiday Visa and waiting for an answer. Good luck with you Japan's exploration. Gambatte ne~~

Wendy ^o^

Anonymous said...

… Unbelievable , but I just found software which can do all hard work promoting your nickgrills.blogspot.com website on complete autopilot - building backlinks and getting your website on top of Google and other search engines 1st pages, so your site finally can get laser targeted qualified traffic, and so you can get lot more visitors for your website.

YEP, that’s right, there’s this little known website which shows you how to get to the top 10 of Google and other search engines guaranteed.

I used it and in just 7 days… got floods of traffic to my site...

…Well check out the incredible results for yourself -
http://autopilot-traffic-software.com

I’m not trying to be rude here, but I believe when you find something that finally works you should share it…

…so that’s what I’m doing today, sharing it with you:

http://autopilot-traffic-software.com

Take care - your friend George