Sunday, April 15, 2007

Guy Fawkes

After the sumo wrestling we went to find food and between the three of us (Ian, Henrik and I) we talked about films.

“I remember when I went to see V for Vendetta at the cinema in Sweden I was probably the only person who knew who Guy Fawkes actually was because I went to a British Embassy school when I lived in Greece.”

From what he then said it sounded like his school was very very traditional English; they had to wear ties, jackets and hats, sing the anthem etc. They studied British traditions like May Day and of course Guy Fawkes night.

“He was the man who blew up the parliament wasn’t he? Oh no he tried to blow them up but was foiled, ah yes.”

We nodded.

“And every November 5th you make a little man, a “Guy” I think to burn in that slightly creepy kind of way.”

We nodded again.

“I remember in my school we would bring things in to make our Guy, like straw and wood. Then we would string him up a bit like Jesus on a crucifix and have to walk around the fire while it burned.”

We stopped nodding.

“And the headteacher would have to look very serious and stern while she watched it blazing.”

This was starting to sound more like The Wicker Man. We asked him whether it had been after school.

“Oh yes it was after school but we had to go, and wear special gowns.”

I looked at him. “We just made a little Guy out of straw, drew a smiley face on some paper for a head and burnt it in the garden.”

“Oh well I guess in the British School they were trying hard to keep the tradition alive.”

Great.

So if you ever meet a foreigner who thinks that all British people are ritualistic murderous pyromaniacs then chances are they attended the British Embassy school in Greece.

No comments: