Sunday, September 20, 2009

Nagasaki Day Three

My third day in Nagasaki was a none day.

We drove to a volcano museum about two hours outside of Nagasaki. It was really hot and I became ill in Yoko’s car.

The museum was next to this volcano.


Inside the museum was quite impressive; they had a large cinema type of thing where you could experience a volcano. Well, the floor rumbled convincingly and they blew hot air in your face.

Another part of the museum told the story of the original eruption which killed a huge number of people, but was fortold by somebody or other when they noticed how hot the ground was becoming a few days before eruption.

This story was depicted in large picture boards that slid about, all electronically choreographed to tell the story along with the narrator and sound effects. It was a really effective way to tell a story, and this from someone who didn’t understand anything the narrator said.

We ate some food near to the museum, which helped me feel better, but not much. The restaurant was in a large collection of buildings around some original houses that had been buried by the lava.


I fell asleep as Yoko drove us to some apartments where we could rest before driving back but I selfishly whinged about just wanting to go back to the hotel so much that we drove back to Nagasaki.

I got back to my hotel at around 7PM and slept all evening and night. As for the museum I will always have the sound of the posh woman from the English guide saying “pyroclastic flow” somewhere in my mind, a long with Marge Simpson saying, “Lisa needs braces…dental plan.”

No comments: