Sunday, September 13, 2009

Kumamoto

The problem with tourist leaflets is that sometimes they are unhelpfully enticing. For example the Kumamoto leaflet featured this picture.


It’s a bridge which looked to me like it had water shooting over it but the truth is that the bridge is a 150 year old aquaduct. Every so often ducts in the sides are opened that let the water flow down into a river, which cleans the water channels.

The woman in the tourist information appeared concerned when I asked her how to get to the bridge. She calmly turned aside to get out a map and laid it on the counter. A second later she replaced that map with another one because the scale wasn’t large enough.
“We’re here,” she said as she circled Kumamoto city, “and Tsujunkyo Bridge is all the way ovvvvver here.” Her hand seemed to move about 300 miles across the page and drew another circle in the middle of nowhere. “So I don’t think you should try and go there today.”

So it was that I found myself at Kumamoto castle, which is a huge and elegant construction surrounded by gardens and picturesque views.


The long climb to the top of the castle was worth it when I looked out of the window at the shadow I was now part of.


Some other pictures


This is a model of what the old city used to look like, back when the castle was by far the tallest building around.


The castle walls are built to be deliberately curved. It almost looks like you could climb them, maybe that’s the point.


And that was my day in Kumamoto.

No comments: