Saturday, November 3, 2007

Translating jokes

Have you ever wanted to put a joke into one of these Internet translators, translate it to another language and then back into English?

No me neither.

But I did. And here are the results.

First I had to decide on a test joke, one that should be relatively simple and well known to everyone. It wasn’t hard to decide.

Test Joke:

My dog has no nose.
How does it smell?
Awful.

We could argue over whether it should be, “My dog’s got no nose,” rather than, “has no nose,” all day. Let’s not.

The results were generally good, for example most of the European languages like German and Greek kept the meaning entirely and just added a few words here and there.


Greek

My dog does not have no nose.
How it smells?
Horrible.


Italian had a bit of trouble at the end.

My dog does not have nose.
How it feels l'odore of?
Terrible.


Spanish was rather optimistic.

My dog does not have any nose.
How it smells?
Tremendous


Moving away from European languages, Russian translated almost perfectly.

My dog has no nose.
How it does smell?
Awful.


Japanese didn’t go so well.

There is no nose in my dog.
How does smell do that?
It is terrible.


Chinese did well till the end.

My dog does not have the nose.
How does it smell?
Fearful.


And finally, Korean.

To my dog there is not a nose.
It sniff how?
It was severe.


Why not try it yourself, the translator I used is Yahoo Babel Fish at

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/?fr=bf-res

Or suggest a joke to me and I'll d0 all the exhausting hard labour of clicking for you.

Ok I need to go rest my right index finger.

No comments: