Friday, August 10, 2007

More about Moomins

It appears that the Moomin cookies I found and blogged about before were just the tip of the Moomin iceberg. In other words, I’ve found way more Moomin stuff.

First off, this is the tin from some Moomin sweets kindly given to me by my friend Deborah.


Next up Evian are currently giving away Moomin figures with 2 litre bottles of water. There are eight of them and I have managed to collect four so far.


If you happen to visit Tokyo and are interested in acquiring Moomin shaped goods then I can recommend two places. Firstly outside Shibuya station on the ground floor of the Tokyu mall there is a shop with a big array of Moomin stuff and on a good day they even show the Moomins on a TV at the front of the shop.


The other shop worth going to is in the mall next to Tokyo Dome, where there is a large store selling all kinds of memorabilia and useless objects to clutter up your home with. In the Moomin section they sell huggable Moomin soft toys, inflatable Hattifatteners, mugs, plates, pens, bags etc etc.


But your number one Moomin destination in Tokyo has to be Moomin Café (also at Tokyo Dome).



Here you can eat Moomin food with a Moomin knife and fork, then wash it down with a Moomin drink all whilst sitting next to one of the large cuddly Moomins that occupy many of the chairs. Then next door there is a Moomin bakery and Moomin gift shop all run by staff who probably, by now, loathe Moomins to the point where if they ever met a real one they would want to teach them the meaning of homicide.


So obviously I had to go and try out Moomin café. I went with my good friend Ricky, this is a picture of him eyeing Moomin suspiciously.


This is me getting more intimate with Moomin.


It actually got too intimate when I realised that his stuffing was coming out. This is me showing Moomin some of his stuffing and is it just me or does he look slightly shocked.



The food is rather on the expensive side, true that it is one of the only places where you can get an omelette with a picture of Moomin drawn on top with tomato sauce, but really I’ve never wanted to eat Moomin. We settled for cake, which was still expensive at 500 yen a slice (£2).


So that was Moomin café.


On the way out I sneaked a look behind the scenes in the bakery section where the staff constantly come in and out of the kitchen with fresh cakes and suchlike. Disappointingly I didn’t see Moomin Mama slaving away rolling pastry in her apron and carrying her ever-faithful handbag. Instead I saw stressed looking people in white chefs outfits. I can only conclude that Moomin Mama works upstairs masterminding the operation, yes, that must be it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

thanks for the info. I have decided to go to tokyo after all. what about department stores like takashimaya? is moomin still popular now in Japan??